Mass Timber Boot Camp: Becoming a Mass Timber Design Expert
Presented by WoodWorks
- Cost: $125
- Date: Monday, March 27, 2023
- Time: 12:00 PM – 4:00 PM
- Location: TBD, Oregon Convention Center
- Credits: Attendees will earn 3.5 AIA LU/HSW, 0.35 ICC Credits. AIA 23MTWS01, ICC 32938.
NOTE: This is an optional event and must be purchased separately from any attendee passes. Only available to those who purchase a Full or 1-Day pass to the conference. The boot camp occurs simultaneously with the building & research tours on the same day, so participants must choose one or the other. You can purchase a boot camp ticket on pg. 3 of the registration form.
As mass timber transitions from novelty to mainstream, more architects and engineers are finding they need a full systems understanding of the unique design considerations associated with this type of structure. Intended for those new to mass timber design, or those looking to refresh their design knowledge, this pre-conference workshop will take a step-by-step approach to the practical design and engineering aspects of mass timber buildings. Breakout sessions at the 2023 International Mass Timber Conference will examine specific design and construction topics in depth, and this pre-conference seminar will equip attendees with the baseline experience needed both to expand their knowledge in the main track sessions and start their own mass timber designs.
Topics will include mass timber products, code compliance, fire resistance, new tall mass timber construction types, structural design and layout, connection detailing, acoustics, MEP integration, and more. Project examples will be included throughout to highlight and emphasize design solutions implemented on real structures.
Attendees will earn 3.5 AIA LU/HSW, 0.35 ICC Credits. AIA 23MTWS01, ICC 32938.
- Identify construction types within the International Building Code where a mass timber structure is permitted.
- Discuss the impacts of construction type on required fire-resistance ratings of structural elements, noting the impacts these ratings have on member spans and grids.
- Demonstrate structural design steps for members and connections in common mass timber framing systems.
- Highlight effective methods of integrating MEP services in a mass timber building and discuss their relative impacts on cost, aesthetics, occupant comfort, and future tenant renovations.
- 12:00 PM – 1:00 PM | Mass Timber Primer: Products, Codes Applications, Fire-Resistance Design
- 1:00 PM – 1:15 PM | Break
- 1:15 PM – 2:15 PM | Structural Design: Member Sizing, Optimized Grids, Connections and Lateral Load Resistance
- 2:15 PM – 2:30 PM | Q&A
- 2:30 PM – 2:45 PM | Break
- 2:45 PM – 3:45 PM | Acoustics, Floor Vibration, MEP Integration, Enclosure and Moisture Protection
- 3:45 PM – 4:00 PM | Q&A
3.5 hours of education total + 30 minutes of break
All WoodWorks speakers, names to be determined.